The Goal To Be Better Than I Was
5 years ago today I left my house with some friends to go mountain biking and the events of that day and of every day since has dramatically changed my life. I’ve come to the realization over the past year since I last wrote on this blog that I will never be the man that I was before November 26, 2011. Even if God chooses to miraculously heal me or there is a dramatic advancement in spinal cord injury research I will never be the man that I once was. Too much has changed in my life and in the way that I see things. Everything has changed with the way I am with my wife, kids, friends, family, team members and clients.
When I came to this realization earlier this year I felt immense freedom and gratitude and I was finally able to let that man go. That man I was before November 26, 2011 is gone and he will never be back. But the awesome thing is the man I am today and the man that I can continue to become is a better man and is a better version of myself. A 2.0 version if you will 🙂 and for that I am grateful. I would not have chosen this path but God chose this path for me and through these trials I have learned to be more than I ever could have been without it.
5 Years of Gratitude
So on this Saturday, November 26, 2016 I want to focus on the great wins in my life over this past year and over these past five years as God has been making me into a different man day by day.
So these are the things that I am grateful for today as I write this looking back over these past 5 years:
- I’m grateful for my salvation and my relationship with Jesus, for the trust that I have in him, and that he will never leave me or forsake me. That my name is written in the Lamb’s book of life. That I have the Holy Spirit who leads and guides me each day. That I have the word of God that is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- An amazing wife who has become an incredible caregiver while still maintaining the intimate connection that only a husband and wife can have. I am eternally grateful to God for my Julie. She is an awesome wife, mother and my best friend in the world.
- For my 3 gifts from God whose names are Ethan, Isaac and Grace. I am thankful for all the gray hairs they have given me and all the laughs and how they can surprise me with the way God uses them in my life to teach me so much.
- I am thankful for my mom in love Barbara who shares our house and our lives. She’s an incredible blessing to Julie, the kids and I every day I’m so privileged that God chose me to be part of this family.
- I am thankful for my good friends. My accountability partner Stephen Gonzalez and his wife Carmen and their kids. I am thankful for all of my dear friends from my home fellowship group the Martin’s, the Vance’s and the Hartman’s and all of their kids. I’m thankful for Jack and Andrea and their kids and so many other good friends and good families that we know from church that we get to do life with.
- I’m thankful for my extended family; my sister Mary and my brother in law Anthony, my Mom Dianne and my stepmom Jill, my brother Mike and my sister-in-law Mia, my nieces Kassidy, Julia and Jenna and my nephew Brendan and his family.
- I’m thankful for all of my family on Julie’s side of the family; grandpa Royce and grandma Billie, uncle Rick and aunt Sylvia, Collin, Reid and their families, aunt Donna and uncle Bruce, uncle Mike and aunt Sandy, aunt Tammy and uncle Pat, grandma Ginger, Jenn and Tom and so many more (Julie has a big family :-))
- I am thankful for my team at Upper Cervical Marketing. For Heather, Summer, Clare, Adam, Dr. Jane, Jessica and more. I am so blessed to be part of such a fantastic group of people who have a common mission to reach sick and suffering people and connect them with doctors who can help them.
- I’m thankful for all our clients at UCM. We have the privilege of serving some amazing doctors who do incredible work and it is a great blessing to be able to help them help others.
- I am thankful for our house that we are turning into a home day by day and for the resources to be able to make it better and better for our family.
- I’m thankful for the ability to drive and the van that is such an incredible blessing to our family.
- I am thankful for my standing frame that I can get into at any time at home and get into a standing position which is so good for my body and my mind.
- I’m thankful for our dog Joey and the smile he can put on my face when I see him.
- I am thankful for my favorite team the Chicago Cubs who won their first World Series in 108 years :-).
- I’m thankful for being able to go to some awesome sporting events in this past year including the sweet 16 and elite eight games of March madness, the Chicago Cubs opening game against the Angels, Cubs game versus the Padres and also against the Dodgers in the playoffs. And the Cubs won all three games :-). I’m thankful for being able to go to the Lakers versus the Warriors game a few weeks ago for my 40th birthday.
- I am thankful for being able to take our first family vacation to Washington DC a few months ago and making some incredible memories.
- I thankful for all of you who are reading this and I pray that God would use my struggles and trials to encourage you to keep going and persevere because it’s worth it.
- I’m thankful for the hope of a future that’s even better.
I know there’s so much more to be thankful for and so many more people who are important in my life and I probably could go on and on for days and days about all the blessings in my life. But I want to get back to enjoying the life that God has given me and the opportunities he has for me going forward.
So thank you again for reading this and I pray that as I begin my sixth year of my new life after paralysis I pray and expect that this year will be my best yet!